Saturday, January 22, 2005

Slashdot | Linux Live Gaming Project

Slashdot | Linux Live Gaming Project

"Fabio writes 'The mission of LLGP (Linux Live Game Project) is show to Wintendo users that also Linux can be used to game. And now a new version is out. Features: KDE 3.3 with Plastik theme and Nuvola icons, kernel 2.6.10, Nvidia drivers, TORCS, Wesnoth, SuperTux, TuxRacer and much more! It's based on Knoppix, but contains deep changes in the startup scripts. Now the hardware probing is completely based on hotplug and udev; kudzu was removed. Challenge your friends on LLGP, and convert them to Linux!' "

I dig bootable linux images... Why? Not too sure. I never seem to find the time to play with them much. I guess it's just the concept behind them that I like. Installing OS's, drivers, apps, etc is such a pain and in the windows world it's something you seem to need to do every year or so...

So I look at these bootable OS's as a possible alternative. Also it's pretty hard to spyware/virus infect a CD-R... :)

Now that DVD-ROMS are pretty much standard, I'm interested in seeing just how complete a dual layer DVD-R bootable OS image can be. Look at what's been done with 650MB and imagine what could be done with 8GB...

Anyway, I've downloaded this and will be burning this to CD real soon now. Also so far it seems to run pretty well as a Virtual PC Guest OS.

No comments: