Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Windows Communication Foundation RSS Toolkit"

.NET Framework 3 Technology News and Announcements - Windows Communication Foundation RSS Toolkit

"WCF RSS Toolkit is a Windows Communication Foundation-based framework for generating RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 content feeds. Using this toolkit, developers can easily expose a service as an RSS or Atom feed. The toolkit supports exposing a service as an RSS 2.0 feed, Atom 1.0 feed and SOAP endpoint simultaneously. The toolkit can also be extended to support other wire formats. Note: This version of the WCF RSS Toolkit is intended only for serving RSS and Atom feeds, the Windows RSS Platform is recommended for consuming such feeds." [Post leached in full]

Interesting...

As you know I believe that with Vista/Office 2007/IE7 RSS we’re going to see a surge of interest in RSS/Web feeds by the more general public. And I believe we’re going to see increased demand for enterprise/internal feeds.

For example, I want my internal inbox attention/notification crud to stop. I want instead to be able to opt-in to internal feeds that I’m interested in.

Also I want supplement reporting with an "attention first" feature. I don’t want my users to have to run a report JUST to see if something needs attention. I want to proactively provide them the attention data they are interested in, and THEN they can run their reports to get more details (if needed)... As I believe every public website/blog/forum/info source should provide a RSS feed, I also believe every internal info source should also provide a feed.

[Greg steps down from his RSS soap box]

Anyway, the above toolkit looks cool and something that might help me realize my vision.

Technorati Tags: ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you should mention this because I was just thinking the same thing. We have a number of reports that we package and email to executives and managers so they can keep touch with the daily heartbeat of the organization.

The primary problem I see with this approach is that it provides too much data and can be time consuming to interpret. I know I would a lot happier and a lot more productive if I received up-to-the-minute notification via some feed that alerts me to something that needs immediate attention. Sending me a hord of data just to say "business as usual" seems rather counterproductive.

Greg said...

Exactly...

That's what I dig about feeds, their "let me know when something I'm interested changes, but don't bug in the mean time" capability.

And IE7/Outlook 2007 will make feeds less "scary" for normal users.

Let the Enterprise Feed Hype begin! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Greg. I try to get as much of my data in the form of RSS feeds as I can. Currently I am getting my bank and credit card statements as RSS feeds, transactions made to my paypal account (you sure can't depend on email notifications for anything PayPal!). I'm really anticipating Googles Adsense API so that I can generate feeds from that as well. I do all this by generating the feeds locally using a product of the company I work for called RSSBus - you should check it out you might find it interesting - www.rssbus.com).