Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Marge's Asshole Management Metric

Bob Sutton - Marge's Asshole Management Metric

"...Bill described how Marge uses a four-point system (ranging from 0 to 3) to rate the degree to which a person is acting like an asshole. 

Bill told and showed us how, in the middle of a meeting, Marge would sometimes point at someone, and hold up three fingers to communicate that (at least for the moment) he or she was being too nasty and needed to calm down, and how –- because Marge was so well-respected and they all understood the system -- such signals had an instant and powerful effects.

...

In her own words, this is Marge’s scale:

0 = You are a very nice person, and very passive. No one can say a word against you, and would never think to call you an asshole.

1 = You are a normal person who can occasionally assert yourself on an issue you are passionate about, but you handle yourself in a non-confrontational way in nearly all occasions.

2 = You can consistently assert yourself in a non-confrontational way and are occasionally an asshole, but you feel horrible about it afterwards, and you may or may not apologize (but you probably will have to confess your remorse to someone).

3 = You can consistently be an asshole and you either do not recognize this or you simply enjoy it.

..."

LOL. This made me snort-laugh (which I hate). I think I'm going to adopt this metric. It's one metric that seems to make sense... ;)

I believe my work persona is about a 1.9 to 2.3 ... :|
(Those who work with me... um... shut up?.. lol ) 

This might work with my family too. A safe, non-confrontational way for my wife or son to communicate with me when I'm being a little too "direct" (aka in Command Mode, being Grumpy Greg, etc).

The rest of the post is interesting, make sure you check it out...

(via dzone - Marge's Asshole Management Metric)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aren't most good developers in somewhere around 2? If you're less than that, you're just a code monkey who can be outsourced to India at any time.

Sean---