Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 - Never Forget

Five years later and the emotional impact of 9/11 is still strong.

I had friends in NYC five years ago, but luckily they were many blocks away from Ground Zero. As a matter of fact, that was how I learned of the attacks....

We had been emailing each other back and forth that morning, when I get an frantic reply from her. The land line and cell phones where down and she asked me to call her parents to let them know she was okay... After calling her parents, waking them up (We where both in California) I told them, "She's okay". The thing is I (and they) didn't know what she was "ok" FROM! So I turned to CNN.com and...

That day still feels so... weird? Out of phase? Draining? Unthinkable? Heart wrenching? All of the above and more...

Even though I'm 40 year old overweight guy, I still want to "Do Something." I heard the US Army raised their enlistment age to 42. I can't help but wonder if that applies to re-enlisting troops too? Then again, I have my family to think off. But damn it, I want to "Do Something!"... sigh...

Anyway, this evening my family and I will be taking part in the local Freedom Walk (register here). I think being with my family and others in the community will help (and the walk won't hurt... much)...

 

Never Forget

No comments: