Monday, November 20, 2006

AniBOOM - Get your Animation on...

My son is currently into online animations (and I'm getting pretty sick Magical Trevor ;). I'm almost afraid to tell him about AniBOOM...

AniBOOM is a site which focuses on short animations, with the expected social aspect (tagging, rating, comments, etc).

There are two things that peaked my interest, Awards and Revenue Sharing.

They are currently holding the AniBOOM 2006 Award voting, which lets you vote for you favorite animations. The winner is supposed to receive $25k and the 5 runner-ups, 5k each. Not a bad deal.

I also thought the Revenue sharing plan, which is tentatively scheduled to start in late 2006, an interesting idea. Here's a blurb...

"aniBOOM believes in rewarding hard working artists for their labor, so we have created a REVENUE SHARE model based on Number of Views. This means that the more people who watch your movies - the more money you’ll earn.
Each registered aniBOOM member who has uploaded movies will receive their proportionate share, calculated in accordance with their relative contribution and Number of Views racked up."

I find these two items interesting primarily because they encourage/require original content. Meaning this site will likely/hopefully not fill up with prated, hacked, recorded, previously copyrighted content.

That and they seek to payback the authors/creators in hard cash...

While the site is still in beta, but that doesn't mean I don't have a "want list".  ;)

A. API
It doesn't looks like it has an API, so no WLW Plugin writing for me... :( 

B. Animation tools (or links), tutorials, suggestions, etc.
After watching a few animations, the next thing I wanted to do was create my own... It would be cool if they provided authoring/creating/etc resources for the budding animation creator.

Still, all in all, it's a cool site to spend some stress release time on...

No comments: