Friday, November 24, 2006

CPU Temperature Monitor System Tray Utility

INauseous() - CPU Temperature Monitor

"Given the issues with Toshiba laptops running very hot with Vista Glass Aero enabled, and just in general with XP as well ( Hot enough to burnout motherboards that require replacements from the manufacturer)  I wrote this utility to give me system tray status on the current CPU temperature.  I'm currently adding GPU temperature but that requires distribution of licensed components (dynamic libraries).

...

Basically, it just sits in your system tray showing the current CPU temperature with the following color schemes:

  • Green - Running at below 50% of critical temperature
  • Yellow - Running at > 50% but < 75% of critical temperature
  • Red - Running >= 75% of critical temperature.

...

The WMI namespace and object is root\WMIMSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature

..."

Great timing...

I just had a HD issue related to heat (it's officially bad when your notebook HD is too hot to handle and makes a loud "clunking" sound...  :|  ) so I'm "heat aware" right now.

This is a cool little utility which sits in your system tray that monitors CPU heat. The C# 2 source is also available...

5 comments:

Greg said...

I hate those... ;)

Thanks for the update (in both senses).

Anonymous said...

Great utility - just one question - when this is running I cant restart my PC until I shut off the Temp Util. Do you know how I can get around this ?

Thanks - Lee - UK

Greg said...

Thank you Shawn...

Kevin said...

I wish you would continue the development of this utility for core 2 duo and core 2 quad processors.

it looks like a great utility

Unknown said...

Hi, it's looks a great prog, but i've a problem with this. It says 35°C (it was never), and Everest says 55 °C.
ScreenShot

MB: Abit VT-7, CPU: P4 3GHz/800/1M (HT)

Shanroo

Sorry for bad english...