Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bloglines issues (Posts being marked as Updated, but were not updated, etc)?

I don't know about you guys (though I know others, LeahPeah for example, ARE seeing this behavior too), but I'm seeing some "weirdness" lately with Bloglines. And in the past couple weeks it seems to be getting worse?

The main thing that's bugging me is that posts are being marked as Updated even though they were not updated. Also their Updated Post - Ignore feature doesn't seem to be working or have any effect.

I'm seeing this in other blogs/feeds, as well as my own.

I believe I've confirmed the issue, having subscribed to my feeds directly and through another web reader. Bloglines says some of my posts were updated, but the others are not.

For example, I know for a fact that I did not touch the 23 of my posts that Bloglines says are now new/updated. Also the Posted and Updated date/times are exactly the same (where as usually the Updated is different/newer/later).

I think they are tweaking their system (though there's no news that I can find about it...) so that's maybe the reason?

Is anyone else seeing anything strange on Bloglines? Or am just seeing things?

(I'd like to confirm others are seeing things prior to submitting a bug report for my sanity's sake, etc...)

4 comments:

Thomas said...

G'day Greg - yep, it's happened/happening with me too.

For some feeds in Bloglines I've gone into "Edit Subscription" and set "Updated Items" to "Ignore".

This is only a workaround and not ideal, but it does the job.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this!

Thomas

Greg said...

Thanks man...

Thomas said...

G'day Greg - in a strange twist of fate, Bloglines seems to be picking on your blog, as I keep getting "new" items even though they clearly are not.

Or are you doing something behind the scenes to make your blog seem more dynamic :-)

Cheers, Thomas

Greg said...

Nope, I'm not doing anything that I am aware of... I'm not touching many past posts, or republishing or anything...

Bloglines is broken in its "Updated" handling/marking.

I'm still getting a high number of blogs/posts that Bloglines thinks are updated when they are not (including mine...).

It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to leave it and move over to Newsgator (since I'm already using FeedDemon, Newsgator seems like a logical move).