Wednesday, September 12, 2007

SuperList - Outlook Style Grouped List Control

CodeProject - Outlook Style Grouped List Control

"I've been a member of CodeProject pretty much since its inception in one form or another and have been meaning to post an article for a while, this is a great site and I'm glad that I can finally give something back.

I built the Superlist control whilst developing an RSS reader called FeedGhost. Although there are plenty of commercial grouped list controls available I wanted to have total control over the code and of course its usability. Superlist supports drag drop column customisation, grouping as well as handling thousands of entries smoothly. It's also highly customisable if you want to change its look and feel. In this article I'll explain how to use and extend the control in a demo project. If you download the source, you can find demo project under the Tests/SuperListTest directory.

Background

Before deciding to develop my own list control I spent a couple of weeks fighting the standard Listview, trying to get it to work the way I wanted, but I finally gave up when I couldn't get the selected items in the grouped visual order. We needed this in FeedGhost so that articles that the user multi-selected would be displayed in the same order in the corresponding HTML view.

I decided to write the control from scratch rather than basing it for example on the Grid controls..."

This looks like a pretty darn cool listview... I like how it's designed to easily handle thousands of entries (as well many of its other features).

(via WindowsClient.net - Outlook Style Grouped List Control)

No comments: