Monday, December 24, 2007

Lookout and Outlook 2007

Mikes Lookout - How to Install Lookout on Outlook 2007

"I got another request today from an old friend for how to make Lookout run inside Outlook 2007.  I’ve probably received a thousand such requests over the last few years…  Since I recently installed Outlook 2007, I finally was able to test it out. 

This fix should make Lookout work.  However, if you have other .NET addins running in Outlook, there is a chance they will no longer work.  The fix is reversible though, so don’t be too scared.  But this fix is definitely for the tech savvy.  Gory details:

..."

If you can scrounge up Lookout (the very cool .Net and Lucene based full text indexing and search tool) and want to use it with Outlook 2007 then you'll need these tips.

Personally I'm happy enough with the search built into Outlook 2007 that I don't plan on going back to Lookout, but it's good to know this information is here incase I need it... (or incase there are others out there that don't share my feelings about Outlook 2007's Search... ;)

But it does kind of irk me that Microsoft bought the company/product and then quietly killed it. Didn't subsume it, re-label it, just seemed to kill it. It's not available from any MS site anymore so you're stuck trusting the downloads you find "out there".

At least they could release the source...? (say via CodePlex as an 'real world' example of extending Outlook? Sure the code is dated now, probably in .Net 1.1, but still it would be pretty cool to see it...)

(via Joel on Software - Getting Lookout to run on Outlook 2007 again)

1 comment:

Matthew said...

To get Lookout work again for Outlook 07 didn´t work at my Outlook, ist was very difficult and after a few times just dissappointing!
I am using Lookeen now...

www.lookeen.net

I am very happy that I found it, because it is similar to Lookout but even better and the most important thing is, it is developed unlike Lookout!