Friday, February 29, 2008

PowerShell v1 Remoting via Windows Remote Shell (WinRS)

Windows PowerShell - Remoting Using PowerShell V1

"As you probably know by now, "remoting" is one of the cornerstone features of the next version of PowerShell.  I am absolutely thrilled with the stuff we are doing here and the benefits that come from that approach.  That said, there are lots of things that need to be buttoned up before this is ready: the right user experience, proper serialization, where and how much throttling to do, how to maximize bandwidth utilization and of course our primary concern: how to make remoting safe and secure.  We are working closing with some of the companies top security people reviewing what we are doing to ensure that we do it right.  (Last week we were in a conference room with about 20 people walking through our scenarios.  It became very clear to me that Microsoft's investments and prioritization in security had really paid off as these folks were just awesome.)

So the bottom line is that while I'm optimistic about the remoting, the reality is that is going to take a while before it is cooked.  If I was an IT Pro, I can imagine saying something to the effect of, "That is fine but my hair is on fire - what can I do NOW?"

The answer to that is:  Cheat.

Yup - you can do PowerShell remoting with V1.  It's not going to be pretty but it can be done and hey - when your hair is on fire, you'll stick your head in a bucket of #$@! to put it out right?  (this approach isn't a bucket of @#%!, I just wanted to use that phrase :-))

Let's walk through the basics and then compose them into a solution.

..."

The magic happens via Windows Remote Management (WinRM) and Windows Remote Scripting (WinRS), which is only available on Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Personally I think I'm going to wait for PowerShell v2 before I worry too much about PS Remoting (or maybe go with the Sysinternals PSExec utility).

Still, if you need it, you need it...

No comments: