Monday, March 17, 2008

Scott, Mr Windows Live Writer Plugin, has released the source to his Insert Video Plugin

InsertableContentSource - Insert Video Source Code Released!

"In a decision I have been mulling over for quite some time now, I have finally decided to release my Insert Video plugin's source code. The reason I hadn't released it before was because of the amount of time and effort I had put into making the plugin, it was my pride and joy, and I wasn't comfortable releasing all my hard work so freely, call it selfish if you will, I don't care smile_wink.

If I'm honest though, the main reason I have released this isn't so people can see how I made the plugin, but to be able to add to it themselves. I have a number of projects that I'm working on at the moment and just don't have the time to maintain the plugin, to add in the video sites that people are requesting. So I figured if the source code is out there, the community themselves can actually update and build the plugin themselves with added sites.

...

So, go over to the source code now on CodePlex: http://www.codeplex.com/InsertVideo"

In one of the scariest, and bravest, moves a developer can make, Scott has released the source to his very popular (12k+ downloads) Insert Video plugin for Windows Live Writer.

If you've not released your source to "the world" then it's hard to explain how deep the fear can be. But it's also one of the bravest and fulfilling decisions you can make (well it can be anyway... YMMV). For me it's the sense of giving back. If it wasn't for the source of others I don't know where I'd be today, so when I could I gave back. Others have different motivations for releasing their source, but for what ever the reason, they are still helping build up the foundation we all stand on...

Congrats Scott!

No comments: