Thursday, June 05, 2008

NTFS Junction Points in C# & P/Invoke - Post Series

Brian - From The Inside Looking Out - Using NTFS Junctions in C#

“…

NTFS junction points are a type of reparse point where you can link to local directories. There are utilities out that allow you to create and delete junction points. You can find reference to them in this Microsoft Support Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524.

What I did was wrote C# code using Platform Invoke Support to call into NTFS to create, delete, and interrogate junction points. No rocket science but a challenge when you don't have access to the source code - that includes me.

In this post I will show you the layout of the reparse structures in C#.

In my next post I will show you some classes you need to create and the signatures for the PInvoke calls.

…”

NTFS Junction points are one of those OS things that really never had much tooling around, let alone managed code support. I’ll be follow Brian’s posts with interest…

No comments: