Saturday, July 12, 2008

Want a networkable OS in a 10MB Download… All you need is Windows For Workgroups 3.11 :p

Because I’m a freak-geek, I wanted to make sure I had a copy of Windows 3.11 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 on my network somewhere.

Why? Heck, I don’t know… “because.” Because maybe one day I’ll want to create a VM on a flash drive for them just so I can amaze family and friends when I boot it up (See, I AM the life of the party…! LOL)

So this morning I went to MSDN Subscribers Downloads and grabbed a copy.

I had a good laugh at the download size. 10Mb for WFW3.11. Remember when that was “huge” and took up a good portion of our hard drives? lol

Since we’re on the wayback machine, this reminds me of my first “production business” application which was deployed on Windows 3.0/3.1 and built with Borland’s ObjectVision (this was before VB1 came out ;). It was a call tracking application to help our company track/log incoming tech support calls, arrogate the results (via sneaker-net and floppies, we later upgraded to lan-tastic) and “management” reporting. It was slow (which our RAM upgrade from 4MB to 8MB helped ;) but was at least as fast as the paper process it replaced and provided data that was impossible to gather previously.

“I remember when I was just getting started programing, we had to use chisels to chip the 1’s and 0’s out of stone…” :p

image

image

image

No comments: