Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PDC09 font, how to install and use it in Windows, Blend, Silverlight, etc

 How to install cool, custom fonts (like PDC09) into Windows and use it in your Silverlight application (or even Microsoft Word)

“Whether you are someone who leans more towards design or coding you have probably come across the need for some interesting fonts.  Typography is a fascinating area with a long history dating back to the origins of print.  When we look at creating an engaging user experience today we are often trying to make a connection with our audience.  We “empathize” with our users needs and look to invoke certain feelings.  Fonts can do that in amazing ways and its pretty easy to add them to your own applications.

PDC09Font_1

The Microsoft Professional Developers Conference (PDC) site has a great art section where you can download wallpapers, blog bling and the font that they used.  Maybe its because I’m such a video gamer but the font really connected with me and brought back memories of playing Wipeout and Star Trek.

Installing the Font into Windows

I keep a local folder in my documents directory of all the fonts I have found intriguing.  Most of these go into my applications or demos I do for that extra sparkle.  You can keep them anywhere you would like however I just find this method the easiest to use.  That way I can zip up all my fonts if I need to use them on a different machine.

…”

Hard to get enough cool fonts… ;) And since it looks like I will be able to attend PDC09 I need to start the bling bing…

 

(via The Road to Know Where - Microsoft's PDC09 Releases Free "StarTrek-Like" Windows 7 Font)

No comments: