Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Data Dude (err… VS 2010 Database Project) strategy for handling object permissions for Dev/QA/Prod/etc deployment

SSIS Junkie - A strategy for managing security for different environments using the Database Development Tools in Visual Studio 2010

“Of late I have been getting down and dirty with the Database Development tools in Visual Studio 2010. You may know this feature set by one of the plethora of other names it has had over recent years such as:

  • Visual Studio Team System for Database Professionals
  • DBPro
  • Datadude

For the rest of this post I’ll stick with the colloquial name that most people seem to recognise – datadude.

Regardless of which moniker you prefer I’m hoping you recognise the feature set that I am referring to here which includes:

I plan to write a detailed blog post in the coming weeks talking about my overall experiences with datadude but in the meantime I’m writing this blog post to focus on how I have chosen to manage security; by which I mean:

  • logins
  • users
  • role membership
  • user and role permissions

image …”

I thought this was an interesting and usable approach for handling permissions for the different deployment environment targets. Also this is a pattern that you might be able to use for other “target” based problems you might have to solve.

1 comment:

jamiet said...

Hey Greg. Thanks for the link - much appreciated!