Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Happiness might not just happen. Think if it as a skill you can improve with a little effort.

Sources of Insight - Happiness is a Skill

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.” — James Openheim

That’s one of my favorite happiness quotes. It reminds me that happiness is a skill.

While some people seem to be born happy, others have to work at it. Some have to work harder than others. Rather than work harder, we can work smarter. Luckily, with all the focus on happiness, we now have a better body of knowledge to draw from. Carlin Flora shares a collection of patterns and practices for skilled happiness from a variety of sources in her article, The Pursuit of Happiness, in Psychology Today.

Key Take Aways

Here are my key take aways:

...

image..."

If Happiness is a skill then I need to working on buffing it because... well... um...yeah (shut up all you people who know me and are think, "Oh hell yeah, he needs really buff that!..." Remember, don't poke the bear! Wait... hum... okay, yeah maybe I do need some extra work on that. ;)

Anyway, some of the "take aways" struck a cord with me and have encouraged me to take a closer and longer look at the article... Of course, easier read than done, but still. Every journey begins with a first step.

No comments: