Thursday, November 08, 2012

How do Physics Engines Work? How about a "How Physics Engines Work" article then?

Build New Games - How Physics Engines Work

Introduction, Motivation, and Goals

My name is Burak Kanber. I started programming in 1999 and built my first MMORPG in Perl in 2001. Years later I attended the prestigious (and tuition-free) Cooper Union, where I studied automotive and sustainable engineering. I earned my master’s in engineering simulating physics in the powertrain of hybrid cars. I’m presently an entrepreneur and the co-founder/CTO of Tidal Labs, which is proving that you can do awesome things as a bootstrapped startup in NYC. I love teaching (which I do often), and I still love physics. I scratched both of those itches by starting a series on my blog called Physics in JavaScript.

Eventually, Build New Games asked me to write an article on physics for video games. Game development is only a hobby – not my profession – so I did the only sensible thing and started building a legitimate physics engine in native JavaScript as research.

This article will guide you through the essential physics of game engines. This is not an A-Z “how-to” guide. I’ve left out some major optimization and implementation details; a single article can only cover so much. My true goal is to point you in the right direction and teach the concepts that you’ll need to build upon later. The next step is up to you. I hope you’ll use this article as a springboard and go write your own game engine, researching advanced concepts in the process.

I’ve left you a very helpful to-do list at the end of this article, if you’re just here looking for a summary of what you need to learn.

A Vector State of Mind

The first thing I learned when building my physics engine is that you really should embrace vector mathematics (linear algebra). ...

image..."

This isn't a .Net or even really Microsoft sphere article, but it's very cool none the less. I mean, come on,  Physics Engines!

No comments: