Sunday, May 14, 2006

Requirement Authoring Starter Kit (RASK) - Part 2

In short, I think I’m going to hold off working on/playing with this. If there’s a V1.1 or updated release, then I’ll try again..

This afternoon, I was playing with RASK, preparing to get it installed and such. Having read the doc’s, I was ready to start building my "kit".

First step, extract all the files, done.
Run TFSrefs.bat, done
Update the Database, on hold for a bit (you’ll see why in a second...)
Open and update RequirementAuthoringStarterKitSupport solution. This is where the problems start.

None of the projects in RequirementAuthoringStarterKitSupport will load. Taking a quick look at project properties in the solution, it looks like the projects are supposed to be in sub-folders. The folder I have is flat, all the RASK files in a single folder.

Thinking it was the unpacking in the setup that screwed up, I extract the files with WinRar (won’t open in WinZip). Same results, a flat folder structure.

That’s when I started to get that, "this is not a good sign" feeling in my gut.

But okay, easy enough to tweak the solution. I remove the sub-folder from the project references, and sure enough the solution now loads all three projects. [This was a hack and not the right choice and would have caused me problems later...]

Taking a quick look at the projects though, they all have sub-folders in them and project items in said folders. Sub-folders which don’t exist.

Strike three, I’m out.

Sure I can create the required sub-folders and move the files around, etc, but I don’t have the time or the patience for that... And I’ll be wondering what else might need tweaking/etc.

I’m thinking it might be a problem with the unpacking in setup (i.e. it’s not create the sub-folders when unpacking), that the compressed image doesn’t include the sub-folders (which is WinRar also creates a flat folder), there’s supposed to be a "runthisfirst.bat" that will create the folder structure and move the files around, or I just have my stupid cap on too tight...

In any case, I think I’ll wait until the next release of this kit and try again...

Updated #1 6/3/2006 @ 8:56AM PDT:
The MSI has been updated and can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e96ccc54-8759-452f-bf68-3a261c663b66&displaylang=en.

Here's my related post, Requirement Authoring Starter Kit (RASK) - Updated...

No comments: