Saturday, May 13, 2006

TFS - Requirements Authoring Starter Kit

Visual Studio Tools for Office 2005 Toolkit: Requirements Authoring Starter Kit

Using the Requirements Authoring Starter Kit (Part 1 of 2)

"The Requirements Authoring Starter Kit (RASK) provides a customizable requirements-authoring solution for software development teams. RASK serves two purposes. It provides the basis of a Requirements Authoring solution and illustrates how to access Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server programmatically from Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System (Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office). RASK has broad functionality that you can extend with minimal effort.

RASK integrates several Microsoft products into the solutions: Microsoft Office Word 2003, Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services. In addition, RASK uses Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite and Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server, which are part of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team System.

RASK is not a complete requirements-authoring application and is not intended to compete with existing requirements-management applications.

This article, Requirements Authoring Starter Kit (Part 1 of 2) introduces the features of the starter kit. The second article,
Using the Requirements Authoring Starter Kit (Part 2 of 2) introduces the code that enables each RASK feature.

..."

I’d like to update my Requirements process, so this looks interesting.

But I think I have my stupid cap on. I can’t seem to find the install instructions. Sure I’ve installed/run the downloaded file. Now what? The setup says it’s going to install something, but what? The dot? Can’t seem to find that... And the setup finishes pretty quickly. And doesn’t ask for the TFS server, etc. So I don’t think anything actually installed.

Wondering if I was having a case of the brain farts, I tried installing it again. Then thinking that maybe local installing was silly for a TFS product, I then installed it on the TFS box.

Still no joy. Time to RTFM again.

Thinking it logical to have the setup/install instructions toward the start of the article, I focus there. Can’t seem to find anything. Which means, in my mind, the setup is so easy it doesn’t require instructions? That it’s all automated and Dummy (i.e. Greg) proof?

Since I’m scanning the doc’s anyway, might as well keep going through them, including Part 2.

LOL, THERE they are! At the end of Part 2. Silly me for
not thinking to look there first... :|

Okay, these look like instructions I should read in detail before doing (funny that)...

The thing to remember (and I didn’t) is that this is a "Starter Kit." Meaning work is required to get started with it (as it’s a "kit").

(via Rob Caron - Requirements Authoring Starter Kit)

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...did you figure out where the template is? I've been staring at the RASK instruction for about 1 hour now and it doesn't make a lick of sense.


benday at benday dotcom

Greg said...

I've not had a chance to play with the latest (fixed - 6/2/2006) version yet so I'm sorry to say I can't help much right now... But I have requirement gathering coming soon, where I hope I can use this...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e96ccc54-8759-452f-bf68-3a261c663b66&displaylang=en.

http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2006/05/requirement-authoring-starter-kit-rask.html