Sunday, July 29, 2007

To Beta Two or not to Beta Two, that is the...

As pretty much everyone in the MS Development world knows Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 shipped last week (Download via VS 2008 Downloads or Microsoft Secure Content Downloader July 2007 Community Technology Preview).

I'm now fighting with the desire to install and use with it for my home/OSS projects.

I'm kind of beta burned out, and I don't plan, or need, .Net 3.0/3.5 features, but but boy the VS2008 IDE looks nice. And with its multi-targeting feature, I can use it for .Net 2.0 projects...

And with its "Go Live", we should be able to upgrade from Beta 2 to RTM (as I understand it at least).

But it IS beta and issues ARE expected.

Sure there's the VPC image where we can play with it as well, but in my environment, the performance just isn't there to VPC (With a 5 year old notebook, 40GB HD, Vista, 1GB RAM, I'm happy that it's even usable at all!  :)

So it's either local install or nothing. And due to HD space issues, side-by-side isn't viable (maybe I should just upgrade the HD... Oh wait, that involves a $100+ technology purchase, which must be reviewed and approved by the Duncan Household Purchase Committee... And my wife's a tough nut to crack...   ;)

The question is, uninstall VS2005 and go with VS2008 now? Or wait for RTM? Am I ready to make VS2008 Beta 2 my primary home development platform?

I SO want to play with VS2008... sigh...

[Must... resist... Must... have... control... Strength failing... Must... ]

4 comments:

Arnaud said...

Sometimes I'm happy I'm a freelance. Especially when I read about your notebook and it reminds me how much I had to battle even just to have a laptop when I was an employee.

I changed my laptop after 1 year, cause I know development needs power. It's a Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM, a 7400 RPM HDD and a 3D accelerated Graphics card (for WPF). And with its physically assisted virtualization, virtual machines run almost as if they were native. It was a 1400€ investment, but it was my own decision. :-)
And I may change it next year... :-)

Greg said...

Nice!

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound... JK

LOL ;)

Arnaud said...

Alright, if it makes you feel better you are paid a wage every month, while I'm not. :-)

Greg said...

lol... :)