Saturday, July 26, 2008

Goodbye Pop’s…

Henry Kuylen (aka Pop’s), my grandfather, passed away today, 7/26/2008 @ 12:15pm. It was very sudden and apparently painless. He collapsed after lunch and by the time 911 was called and the ambulance took him to the hospital two blocks away, he was gone.

I guess if you have to go, as we all will have to, there are much much worse ways. His Alzheimer’s was progressing, but thank God we never got to the no speaking and food tube stage. Some days were better than others, but when I last saw him, just a couple weeks ago, he knew who I was and was “there.” Not a bad last memory at all…

He was a good man and a great grandfather, who led a long (he would have been 92 next month), fruitful and interesting life. We will all miss him.

We will keep his stories alive and he’ll always have a place in our hearts; as long as you are remembered then you’re really not gone are you?

Goodbye Pop’s, we’ll meet again one day…

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Some Bad Personal/Family News...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Son for keeping the memory of your grandfather alive.

Love you - Mom

Anonymous said...

Deepest condolences.

Jim Monty said...

We called my much-loved maternal grandfather "Pops," too, but, sadly, he died when I was quite young. When my granddaughter was born two years ago (she celebrated her second birthday yesterday), I suggested I adopt the nickname "Pops" to disambiguate me from her other grandfathers and great-grandfathers. So now I'm "Pops" too.

I'm very sorry to learn of your loss and I offer you and your family my deepest condolences.

Jim "Pops" Monty

Joe Crawford said...

Condolences to you and your family Greg.