Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Feed You Should Read #12 – DimeCasts.Net

Ha, tricked you didn’t I! You thought this week’s feed would be PDC09 related, didn’t you? Well, so did I… LOL. But I have to say I’ve pretty much reached the PDC saturation point. PDC is done, over, finish and frankly I’m a little tired of hearing about it. Time to move on…

My brain is now almost full, with only some smaller corners here and there available. That’s why I thought DimeCasts.net would be great for this week’s Feed.

DimeCasts.Net

image

Background:

DimeCasts.Net is a site that hosts short, code focused, 10 minute’ish, screencasts.

I’ve been following it since its inception last year, DimeCasts.Net - Everyday coding issues covered in 10 minutes or less, and find the name so fitting that I personally now use it to describe all short video/web/screen/pod casts. :)

In Derik Whittaker (the mind and power behind DimeCasts.net) word’s;

“A few weeks ago while putting together a screencast series on how to use NUnit (and a basic intro to testing) I got the bright idea to launch a new site.  I wanted to create a site that allows myself (and others in the future) to create, host and share short (about 10 minutes -- hence the name dimecasts.net) screencast's (I call them episodes) on how to do various different things.

...

So, who is my target audience with these episodes....everyone.  My thoughts are to create episodes that tackle everyday coding issues as well as show how to use various tools (NUnit, Mocking tools, IoC, etc).  I want the episodes to range from 100 level (Intro to XYZ) all the way to 400 level (mastering XYZ) and I want them to be short and to the point. …”

Why do I like this feed and think you might also?

What I like is how focused the content it. It’s screencast, code focused, for developers by developers. I dig that. “Content good that is content dense” (What Yoda would say if he were a Dev ;)

Also I like that the topics cover areas that are a little outside of the Redmond norm, you know Alt.Net’ish. It provides views into areas that we’re not as likely to see in “Official” MS channels and venues. This is pretty clear by just looking at the Cast Tags above.

So why do I think you might like this?

  • Dev focused? Check
  • Content density high? Check
  • Very reasonable Ad level? Check
  • Tools and code? Check
  • Information I can use today? Check
  • .Net? Check
  • Cool? Check  :)

Snap of the latest post:

image

Blog Information:

Name: DimeCasts.Net -- Inform & Educate in ~10 minutes or less
URL: http://www.dimecasts.net/
Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Dimecastsnet--InformAndEducateIn10MinutesOrLess
Post Types: Short Dev/code focused video/screencast sessions

No comments: