Thursday, October 31, 2013

WindowSMART (The HD/SSD health monitoring, reporting and alerting tools) goes open, yes, open source...

WindowSMART

image

WindowSMART 2013 and Home Server SMART 2013 are powerful hard disk and solid state disk (SSD) health monitoring, reporting and alerting tools for Windows. WindowSMART 2013 is a standalone application, available in both x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions. Home Server SMART 2013 is a Dashboard add-in for specialized versions of Windows.

WindowSMART 2013 was originally developed as a Shareware application. On October 28, 2013, its developer Matthew Sawyer, owner of Dojo North Software, LLC, decided to turn WindowSMART and Home Server SMART over to the open source community. I work full-time for HP as a Microsoft SharePoint consultant, and the demands of running a side business conflicted with my family. With two young children, I want to be a better dad and thus decided I shouldn't be consuming all my free time working on a side business when I could be spending it with my family.

WindowSMART 2013 - Supported Platforms

  • Windows XP SP-3 and later
  • Windows XP 64-bit edition SP-2 and later
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows Server 2003 SP-2 and later
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Windows Server 2012
  • Windows Server 2012 R2

Home Server SMART 2013 - Supported Systems
  • Windows Home Server 2011
  • Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
  • Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials
  • Windows Server 2012 Essentials
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

...

From Shareware to Open Source
In January 2010 I created Home Server SMART as an add-in for Windows Home Server ("v1"), which later became known as Home Server SMART Classic. In June 2012 I released WindowSMART as a Shareware application to help supplement my family's income.

To make a very long story short, WindowSMART has grown to a point where it's a full-time job. I already have a full-time job with HP, a family and in early 2013 I started exercising again to combat obesity. I'm not Superman; there are only 24 hours in a day but I needed about 30 hours a day to take all of this on.

And so I decided the best future for WindowSMART 2013, Home Server SMART 2013 and Home Server SMART Classic lies with the open source community. I think I made a very good product--I'd love to see the open source community make it a great product.

Product Key
Because WindowSMART 2013 was initially released as a Shareware product, it still requires a product key even though it is now open source. I've generated a product key and attached it here. I will soon make a license key generator available on my website which you can use if you'd like a personalized key. There is no charge for the key. Donations, of course, are always welcome. :)

Brave step Matthew! Thanks for taking the time to OSS this and not let it just fade away into the dark...

No comments: