Thursday, March 23, 2006

TFS Lesson #2 - Listen to my own advice...

I made the point earlier that it is important to follow the TFS setup checklist and to not cowboy the install...

Well I didn’t listen to my own advice when selecting the domain account I used to install TFS. Instead of waiting for our TFS Setup account to be configured correctly, I used my domain account.

Now I’m paying the price. Sure the install worked, but many of the DB objects were created with my domain account as the Owner.

For example, I was checking the SQL logs and saw the Agent jobs had errors...

Since I used my account to install TFS, the jobs were Owned by me. And now that I changed the DB ownership, they were failing. Changing their ownership fixed the problem, but what else am I missing? I’m pretty gun shy at this point... It seems to be working now, but I’d hate to be using TFS for a few months to only then find I’d jacked something.

I’m thinking of backing out everything, uninstalling it and starting again, this time doing it 100% by the book. Just to be sure...

Maybe I’ll first try some VSS and Bug/Issue migrations first and then nuke it all.

Yeah, I think that makes more sense. That way there’s no migration stress...

Related Past Post XRef:
TFS SQL Databases Moved... One Tip, Remember the DB Owner
"Moving Your Team Foundation Server Deployment"
My First Soup to Nuts Team Foundation Server Install
TFS Check In Policies, Code to Police Code
"An updated TFS MSSCCI provider is available"
VS6 MSSCCI Provider for TFS
TFS Administration Tool
"Migrating from Visual Source Safe to TFS"
"How many users will your Team Foundation Server support?"
Team Foundation Server 2005 & the "New" MSDN Universal

Technorati Tags: , ,




No comments: