Thursday, March 23, 2006

TFS SQL Databases Moved... One Tip, Remember the DB Owner

After getting a quick confirmation from Rob Caron (here) that moving the TFS SQL DB’s should be as easy as detach/attach, I shut down IIS, the Reporting services, Full Text Services, detached all 11 DB’s, copied them to the E drive and reattached them.

One thing I didn’t think of was to record the original Owner of the DB. Woops.

When you attach a DB, you become the Owner by default. In this case, that’s not good. So thinking I was clever, I changed the Owner to SA for all 11 and rebooted.
(Changing the DB Owner is very easy. In SQL Management Studio, right click on the DB and select Properties. On the Database Properties dialog, click on the Files page. There’s the Owner field where you can easily change the Owner... assuming you have the right permissions).

And guess what? Almost everything seemed to be working... um... except for WSS. Dogh!

It was a login error, so I was sure my DB Owner assignment was the problem. Quickly changing the DB Owner to our TFS Service account solved the problem...

Now everything seems to be happy (for my login at least...).

Now to move the Analysis Server data files. I’ve not done this before, so it’s RTFM time...

Related Past Post XRef:

"Moving Your Team Foundation Server Deployment"
My First Soup to Nuts Team Foundation Server Install
TFS Check In Policies, Code to Police Code
"An updated TFS MSSCCI provider is available"
VS6 MSSCCI Provider for TFS
TFS Administration Tool
"Migrating from Visual Source Safe to TFS"
"How many users will your Team Foundation Server support?"
Team Foundation Server 2005 & the "New" MSDN Universal

Technorati Tags: , ,


No comments: