Friday, April 21, 2006

TFS Install - Production Time...

As I mentioned in past posts it’s been my plan to uninstall our current TFS install and reinstall it.

Today was that day.

Following the Uninstall TFS checklist, yesterday I backed out everything up to uninstalling IIS. IIS was fine and there was nothing I felt I needed to change, so it stayed. But TFS Explorer, TFS, SharePoint and SQL Server all had to go.

This morning the reinstall process began. Talk about a night and day difference in the "brain pain" this time... Having done it once, this time was a slam dunk. (having all the source CD’s/ISO already also helped... ;)

This time I’m going with the Trial Edition instead of the Workgroup Edition. I’ve gotten word that buying TFS (once it’s available for purchase) should be no problem, so it made sense to install the full blown copy so the entire Group can access it.

Also this time around I added a few extra steps to tweak some settings to better fit the install to our hardware.

Once I had SQL Server 2005 installed, I stepped off the checklist and tweaked my SQL environment. I changed the default Data and Log locations from the default C: drive to our RAID E: drive. Same for the Analysis services. Also this time installed of using the default C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server\ path I also switched it to the E drive.

Post install, I did a quick check to make sure all the DB’s and stuff were indeed on the E drive.

While almost all the SQL DB’s were created in their new location, the ReportServer DB’s were still on the C drive. Simple enough to detach and reattach them, but something to remember for future installs.

And in the end, I now have TFS ready for production usage. Oh yeah...!

To Do:
A) Version Control Structure Plan
Version Control Structure diagramed and documented, so this is done/ready.

B) Project Structure Plan and Create Project(s)
Decide what get kinds of products/solutions/apps get a new Project, what get wrapped into an existing Project, etc.

C) Migrate VSS

D) Migrate Existing Feature Requests/Bugs

E) Configure Team Build on the Team Build workstation

F) Get the server on the Production Backup/Recovery list

G) Do the "Happy Dance" because I’ll be done?

Related Past Post XRef:
TFS Bug/Feature Migration - Test Director to TFS (or how I learned to love the TFS Excel Add-in)
TFS - Work Item’s and Customization
TFS Lesson #2 - Listen to my own advice...
TFS SQL Databases Moved... One Tip, Remember the DB Owner
"Moving Your Team Foundation Server Deployment"
My First Soup to Nuts Team Foundation Server Install
"An updated TFS MSSCCI provider is available"
TFS Administration Tool
"Migrating from Visual Source Safe to TFS"
"How many users will your Team Foundation Server support?"

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: